• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• {The List-} Scenario/Map Editor *-DARKCLOUD-*

Introduction

FILL IN

Thanks! -List Threadmaster DarkCloud

Summary

Basically, the major desire of the scenario creating community is for Civilization IV to be more Scenario-building friendly than Civ III.
    One of the major desires was for the limitations on population limits and map size to be raised or destroyed altogether since in these days of 3 GHZ+ computers and computers with 512MB+ RAM, most computers can handle that sort of power.
    Therefore, most people desired "more" customizability and "more" power.

NOTE TO SELF: Logged thru 13-12-03

NOTE TO SELF: Related Threads:
    Civ2 editor style or Civ3? http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=105404 Nuclear Master (LOGGED THRU HENRIK 03-01-2004 20:27)

The Ideas

1.0.0 The Scenario Editor

1.1.0 Basic Design Philosophy
    *I think the civ2 editor works better for creating scenarios, because you could basically make any concievable starting position, but it's not as good for editing rules and stuff.

They should be hybridized somehow. Perhaps there should be a rules editor, and then you can load a rules file and make the scenario in a civ2 style editor.
    -Jaguar Warrior

1.2.0 The Cheat Mode

*The Game needs a Cheat-Mode option for easy modification either "in game" (a la Civ II) or in a special scenario-editor image screen.
    *The Cheat Mode should also be included in the regular game as a 'sandbox mode' for newbies or people who enjoy to cheat.

1.3.0 No Limits
    *It would be very nice indeed if the various limits (maximum city population, maximum number of units, maximum map size, maximum number of civilization, maximum number of unit types, maximum number of terrain types, etc.) were set very, very high indeed. (ed- Especially since computers nowadays are much more powerful than computers in the past.)
    These limits can hamper the creation of scenarios, partucularly large scenarios - I certainly had that problem in Civilization 2 - The Gold Edition.
    -Roman

1.4.0 In-Game Editor
    *In Civilization 3, I never even bothered creating scenarios. The out of game editor was actually a major turn-off, since it is frequently much easier to create scenarios through a combination of playing and editing/modification than through an editor alone. Hence, I would strongly recommend an in-game scenario editor for Civ IV.
    -Roman

1.5.0 Flags
    *I want to be able to make flags for scenarios
    -POTUS

2.0.0 Scripting Language

2.0.1 Scripting Language Like "Empire Earth's"
    *The game should have a scripting language a la that included in Sierra's Empire Earth. If the game could have a language of that power, with the ability to trigger events that occur at certain dates, or that occur when certain actions are taken, then scenario-makers will feel more empowered and enjoy the game more since they can create more realistic scenarios.
    (example: If Berlin falls- then Division I and II of German Tanks surrender {even if they weren't produced in Berlin} and their parts can be scuffled and sold in the nearest allied city for more goldpieces.)
    -Rasbelin,DarkCloud

2.0.2 Scripted Events
    *There should be scripted events
    -et. al.

2.0.2 Triggers
    *The Scenario Editor should also have the option to trigger mutliple actions with one event.
    (example: Germany attacks France which causes both the US and the English to auto-declare war)
    -Mongoloid Cow

2.0.3 Trigger Limits
    *The Scenario Editor has an option which allows the player to forbid alliances from happening as well as peace agreements.
    However, the editor should allow scenario creators to put a limit on the time when alliances and peace agreements can be made.
    (For example: "From 1940-1945 the Germans cannot ally with the French... however in 1946 in this hypothetical scenario, General LeMond Le Monde turns traitor in Tunisia and allies with the Germans as a puppet state)
    DarkCloud

3.0.0 The Map Editor

4.0.1 Maps

North America; South America; MesoAmerica;
    North Atlantic including parts of North America, Europe, and Africa;
    Europe; Mediterranean including parts of Europe, Africa, Middle East;
    Africa;
    Middle East;
    Asia; South Asia;
    Indian Ocean including parts of Africa, Asia, Australia;
    East Asia;
    A large map of the Pacific including New Zealand and parts of Asia, Australia, North America;
    The World in at least five sizes
    Chiron in Earth Terrain (ed- As a possible Easter Egg?)
    -Brent

*Surface-Area Correct Earth Maps
    -Ribannah

*The Editor needs a zoom function
    -BarnDoor

*Fix the weirdness civ3 has with the bottom edge of maps.
    -Skywalker

5.0.0 Resources

5.0.1 Pollution Rates
    *Pollution rates should be editable in each city, and for each square on the map, as well as the global pollution rate.
    DarkCloud

Conclusion

FILL IN

Respectfully Compiled: DarkCloud
    With special thanks to: Asmodean
    Last edited by DarkCloud; January 4, 2004, 18:09.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

DarkCloud, could you provide a link to the thread(s) in which these suggestions occured? It could be useful for some people to read over everything.

Looks good, by the way.

Comment

I encourage all threadmasters to visit my site (collecting ideas for Civ IV from the initial days after Civ III's release )
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

4.0.1 Maps

North America; South America; MesoAmerica; North Atlantic including parts of North America, Europe, and Africa; Europe; Mediterranean including parts of Europe, Africa, Middle East; Africa; Middle East; Asia; South Asia; Indian Ocean including parts of Africa, Asia, Australia; East Asia; A large map of the Pacific including New Zealand and parts of Asia, Australia, North America; The World in five sizes

Comment

I posted this in another thread:

Scenario Making - No Limits, In-Game Editor and Scripted Events Support Apolyton

It would be very nice indeed if the various limits (maximum city population, maximum number of units, maximum map size, maximum number of civilization, maximum number of unit types, maximum number of terrain types, etc.) were set very, very high indeed. These limits can hamper the creation of scenarios, partucularly large scenarios - I certainly had that problem in Civilization 2 - The Gold Edition.

In Civilization 3, I never even bothered creating scenarios. The out of game editor was actually a major turn-off, since it is frequently much easier to create scenarios through a combination of playing and editing/modification than through an editor alone. Hence, I would strongly recommend an in-game scenario editor for Civ IV.

I don't think I need to say anything on scripted events - so many people are calling for them already... so I will merely add another vote to that call.
            Rome rules

Comment

4.0.1 Maps

Chiron in Earth terrain

Comment

A note about scripting: I'd be happy even if the events were the same as in Civ2

Comment

dp
                  Last edited by Kuciwalker; December 17, 2003, 23:53.

Comment

About maps: fix the weirdness civ3 has with the bottom edge of maps.

I want the ability to set the borders each city gives (even if that deviates from the culture calculations) and set a flag so that they never get recalculated.

Comment

I want to be able to make flags for scenarios, with an editor that works.
                      Vote Democrat
                      Support Democracy

Comment

any possible suggestions for how you want the editor structured?
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Just a suggestion-- if they allow linked maps a la Civ: ToT, PLEASE don't make them useless crap like they were in that game, allow East-West border crossings so you can go from European Theatre to Pacific Theatre in a WW2 scenario.
                          "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                          "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                          "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

If they allow the maps to be large enough there won't be any need for crossing between map borders.

On the other hand, it would be great if the maps don't have to be the exact same size, and if the transporters don't just transport to the same coordinate on another map.

Probably the best thing about Civ3 was Civ3Edit. That is, the tabbed interface for all the rules etc. For what it could do, it was very effective and intuitive, keep that.

However, the editor should be designed to accept all values. Perhaps there could be a simple and advanced mode. Simple mode only allows users to enter valid and tested values; advanced mode is for those living dangerously, the editor will accept anything that fits in the binary savegames (or whichever files the editor affects).
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Is this for rules editability as well?

(don't see it in the toc)

If it is I need to dig out my old suggestion for group abilities. (An effective way of lowering hardcoding and limitartions on number of things that can have a specific ability ) If I just could find my old post(s) on this.
                              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                              X